Types of Skin
Our skin is divided into four types according to its texture. Every person should be aware of the type of skin he has in order to look after and treat it properly. Following is a detailed description of each type of skin with a number of useful skin care tips for each type:
Normal skin is the one we all love and wish to have. It has fine even tone, soft and smooth texture. It is clear with no spots, pores, blemishes, greasy patches or flaky areas. This type of skin contains balanced amount of oil and moisture and so is neither too much greasy nor dry. This type of skin is a result of good health, excellent care and good blood circulation and is not affected by skin diseases like Acne. But if this type of skin is neglected it can lead to aging and wrinkling. Following are some useful tips for normal skin care:
- Clean it twice a day with a mild soap.
- Apply a moisturizer in the night to keep your skin's moisture level balanced.
- Use an alcohol free astringent after cleansing to keep pores tight.
- Protect your skin from excessive heating.
- Use a mild, oil-based moisturizer under makeup to help retain surface moisture.
- Use makeup products that contain sunscreen to protect it from drying and aging effects.
- Use a nondrying mask after every 15 days to stimulate the circulation and maintain smoothness of the skin.
A Dry skin is unable to retain the required amount of moisture that is why it flakes off easily and is more prone to wrinkles and lines. In this type of skin the sebaceous glands produce insufficient amount of sebum giving rise to tightness and dryness. Sometimes this dryness is a result of not drinking enough water, genetics, excessive heating and wind, poor diet, extreme temperature, under active thyroids, harsh soap, use of certain drugs etc. Dryness symptoms like chapping and cracking usually occur after washing the face and do not go away unless some type of moisturizer or skin cream is applied. A dry skin looks dull, especially on the cheeks and around the eyes. Following are some useful dry skin care tips:
- Do not cleanse your face with tap water and hot water. Instead use mineral water. Don't use a rough texture cloth. It can cause irritation.
- Gently massage the skin with oil and moisturizer to increase the water content of the outer layers of the skin making it soft and moist.
- Use non-detergent products.
- At the end of bath apply baby oil.
- Use a moisturizer during the day and a good cream at night.
- Eat a well balanced diet full of vegetables, fruits, grains, seeds, and nuts.
- Increase your intake of foods items such as garlic, onions, eggs, and asparagus to keep your skin smooth and youthful.
- Avoid soft drinks, chocolate and junk foods.
- Strictly avoid alcohol and caffeine because they take fluids and essential minerals away from the skin cells.
- Drink plenty of water to keep the skin hydrated.
Oily skin is shiny, greasy, hard and dull colored. It has coarse pores and pimples that are larger and visible. This type of skin is a result of excessive oil produced by the sebaceous glands because they are overactive. This excess oil attracts dirt and dust and that is why it is more prone to blackheads and white heads. Oily skin occurs as a result of hormonal changes and needs to be cleansed thoroughly. Some of the causes of oily skin include heredity, poor diet, hormone, pregnancy, cosmetics, humidity etc. Following are some useful tips for maintaining oily skin:
- Use plenty of hot water and soap while cleansing to prevent the pores from getting clogged.
- Avoid harsh skin care products that introduce flakiness and makes your skin feeling dehydrated.
- Use oil-based products for cleansing as they dissolve sebum effectively.
- Use oil-free moisturizers to prevent excessive shining.
- Keep your skin clean. But avoid over washing. Only wash your face 2-3 times a day.
- Avoid heavy cleansing creams.
- Try antibacterial cleansing lotion or medicated soap.
- After cleansing, apply an oil-free moisturizer to keep the skin supple.
- Massage face with fingertips during cleansing.
- Use cosmetic products specifically designed for oily skin.
- Use an antiseptic cream before applying makeup.
- Take a diet rich in leafy green vegetables, fresh fruits, and proteins.
- Restrict the intake of sugar, fluids and salt.
- Increase the intake of vitamins, iron and similar substances.
- Drink plenty of quality water to keep the skin hydrated and flush out toxins.
- Greatly reduce the intake of fat.
Combination skin is a very common type of skin, which is a combination of both dry and oily skin. The areas, which are oily on the face, are forehead, nose and chin where as the cheeks and the area around the eyes is either normal or dry. The oily areas are termed as "T-zone" In such situation each part of the face should be treated accordingly that is the dry areas should be treated with dry skin care tips and oily with oily skin care tips.
Many people are unaware of the type of skin they have. I hope with the information provided above they are able to find out their skin type. No matter you have dry, oily, normal or combination skin extensive care is required to maintain the health of each one of them.
Treat acne in the comfort of your own home using 101 E Acne Getaway! Rapid Treatment Lotion! Not to ...
A tiny tubular cavity through which hair grows is known as hair follicle. Folliculitis is a conditio...
Tanning not only ensures that your skin looks the best shade but has also certain good effects on th...
Acne is one of the major skin disorder all over the world. Despite the fact that acne attacks almost...
Itchiness and a sudden eruption of red patches all over the skin may be an indication of allergy to ...
Acne is a hormonal disorder of skin which causes different types of lesions on skin. It is quit comm...