Acne treatment Acne treatment

Adult Acne Treatment Products

Adult Acne Treatment Products Adult Acne Treatment Products

Acne is a chronic condition affecting some 17 million Americans, according to the American Dermatologist Association. Out of those 17 million, around 85 percent of teens between the ages of 12 and 24 are affected by acne. The remaining 15 percent are adults over the age of 24. Fortunately, there are a variety of acne products that treat adult acne.

Benzoyl Peroxide

Benzoyl peroxide effectively kills bacteria that causes acne, removes excess oil and aids in removing dead skin cells that cause pores to become clogged. Available over the counter, benzoyl peroxide can be found in strengths ranging from 2.5 to 10 percent. According to the Mayo Clinic, begin with the lowest strength first to avoid any possible side effects. Benzoyl peroxide can cause severe dry skin, scaling, skin irritation and redness and lead to the inflammation of acne if the strength is too strong or if you have very sensitive skin, according to the Mayo Clinic. Those who already suffer from dry skin or have sensitive skin should not use benzoyl peroxide. The Mayo Clinic also warns that bleaching of clothes or hair can occur should benzoyl peroxide come into contact with them. Careful measures need to be taken to ensure bleaching does not happen.

Salicylic Acid

Salicylic acid is another type of over-the-counter treatment for adult acne. The Mayo Clinic states that salicylic acid works well on both whiteheads and blackheads. Salicylic acid works a little differently than benzoyl peroxide, as it focuses primarily on slowing down the shedding of dead skin inside the hair follicles, which causes clogged pores. Salicylic acid is available in lower doses than those of benzoyl peroxide, so it's not as strong, at strengths that range from 0.5 to 2 percent. Those who have dry skin may benefit from using salicylic acid instead of benzoyl peroxide since salicylic acid is not known to dry out your skin. The Mayo Clinic warns that you may experience some skin irritation or mild stinging when using the product.

Alpha Hydroxy Acids

Alpha hydroxy acids are available over the counter. According to the Mayo Clinic, there are two types of AHAs: lactic and glycolic. Each type works similarly in that they are synthetic versions of acids taken from fruits that contain sugar. AHAs work a little differently than salicylic acid solutions do. While salicylic acids slow down skin shedding, AHAs work by removing dead skin cells. AHAs also assist in reducing inflammation related to acne, so those with acne who have sensitive skin may benefit the most from their use. The Mayo Clinic states that in addition to these benefits, AHAs promote the growth of new skin, which tends to be smoother, and they reduce the appearance of acne-caused scars.

Related Articles

Spironalactone for Acne
Overview If you're an adult woman, chances are you've had some pimples. Around half of all women suf...
Effective Treatments for Adult Acne
For many people, the end of adolescence does not mean the end of acne. According to the American Aca...
Effective Treatments for Adult Acne
For many people, the end of adolescence does not mean the end of acne. According to the American Aca...
Medical Treatment of Adult Acne
Overview The American Academy of Dermatology, AAD, identifies four factors that lead to adult acne: ...
What Are the Treatments for Blocked Tear Ducts in Adults?
Blocked tear ducts cause excessive tearing and eye irritation because the tears cannot drain normall...
Review of Adult Acne Treatment
What To Look For When shopping for adult acne treatments look for products that are designed to work...

Comment «Adult Acne Treatment Products»